Promo's, Clinics, Camps & Coach's Insight to
Help Achieve Your Goals!
Your Privacy is protected.
Great Northern Bean Stew And Eggs
Stews can take hours, if not all day to make, but a simple trick can cut down the time it takes and still deliver an impactful flavor. What is that trick? Keep reading to find out.
The stew consists of Great Northern Beans, Crimini Mushrooms, Onions, Spinach, Arugula, Roasted Garlic, Chopped Tomatoes, Tomato Paste. Seasoned with Fennel Seed, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and Dried Oregano the flavors will jump off the plate.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
· Cast Iron Skillet
· Wooden Spoon
· 1c Chopped Tomatoes. (I use Pomi.)
· 50g Crimini mushrooms – Chopped
· 25g Sweet Onion – Chopped
· 1c Great Northern Beans (if using a can drain and rinse thoroughly)
· 1.5Tbsp Tomato Paste (use a resealable tube brand such as Cento)
· 5 Cloves Of Roasted Garlic – Chopped (use less if you do not like Garlic as much as I do)
· ½ tsp Dried Oregano
· ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
· 2c Spinach – Chopped
· 2c Arugula – Chopped
· 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil – Melted
· 2 Fried Eggs
· Crusty Bread – Grilled
1. In a cast-iron pan melt the coconut oil over low heat and add in the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are golden brown then add in onions.
2. Allow onions to cook until translucent (approximately 3-5 minutes) then add in the chopped tomatoes and the beans.
3. After 5 minutes add in the tomato paste and roasted garlic. Allow the heat from the cast iron pan to reduce the tomatoes and thicken the stew.
4. When the stew is close to the desired thickness of your choosing add in the spinach, arugula and spices.
5. Once all the leafy greens have wilted pour onto a plate and serve.
6. If adding eggs cook them in a separate pan and toss on top of the stew as well as some grilled bread to round out the dish.
About the Author:
Jason Bahamundi is a 4x Ironman and 2x 100 Mile Ultra-Runner who writes the endurance sports blog Cook Train Eat Race while living a plant-based lifestyle. Beyond pushing his body and his mind beyond its limits he enjoys spending time in the kitchen creating meals that help him recover and fuel for his active lifestyle.